Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

To the other half, a toast

Two wedding invitations arrive in the mail today. My fingers fly at the envelopes, impatient to see the colors, font and design of the cardstock within.

I am always amazed. Such labours of love, these pieces of ribbon and embossed paper! I know full well the thought that goes each invitation I get. I know, because I obsessed about mine, too.

I turn the invitations over in my hand. I am filled with joy for my friends who have agreed to go down this crazy, amazing road. I think of my own marriage and the day I said yes to my best friend, my co-conspirator, the father of my sweet baby bear. Marriage has definitely not been easy and I have, more often than I'd like to admit, fought and struggled with the foreverness of this pact.

But, I remain thankful. Despite my grumpiest of days, despite my own lofty standards, and despite my cut-throat desire to be right, I am thankful for the man who delights in getting me treats, cooks me dinner, and who coached me through the birth of our son - the longest day of my life. And more than that, I am thankful that God works through the messy parts of marriage and teaches me, as imperfect as I am, how to love my husband deeper, more forgivingly, more understandingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment