Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Urbanesque

I live in an area of the city known to be trendy in a "don't call us trendy" kind of way. It's also a mixed bag, full of hipsters, goth kids, eco-crusaders, Rastas - you name it. And that includes weird people of faith like me, a Christian in a lesbian neighbourhood. And I love it here.

Here, on "The Drive", things feel a bit more real, even though all of us are posing in some way or another. At least here, strangers talk to each other and there's a bit more colour painting these streets (literally!)

Of course, there's a gritty darkness that creeps along these streets. People get shot here more often. More homeless men and women live here. Sometimes, I hear screaming in my back alley in the dead of night.

But I'm here now, here in this city of incredible beauty and profound darkness surrounded by mountains and glass, drug abuse and prostitution. And it's okay. Really.

Even in this place, God reigns. It's his redeeming work in the ugliness that gives me a fuller, greater understanding of Beauty. He's got big plans for Vancouver, as he always does for all of humanity. I know it. Pslam 90 says it best:
Lord, you have been our dwelling place
throughout all generations.
Before the mountains were born
or you brought forth the whole world,
from everlasting to everlasting you are God.
Beauty. Here's a peek.

No comments:

Post a Comment